August 31, 2021
Winning award entries: the sincerest form of flattery
There are literally dozens of IT and telecoms industry awards on offer every year, and most are free to enter. Winning one is worth its weight in gold, and feeds column-inches that keep on coming. Take the right approach and the results will roll in.
But the competition’s getting tougher, which is why it’s worth investing the time and effort. You’ll not only do great things for your company’s reputation, but you’ll also attract the attention of senior management. After all, who doesn’t love attending an annual awards ceremony and stepping up to the rostrum to snatch the prize in front of one’s peers?
Six reasons our customers win
The following are overriding reasons to choose GoRefCo for winning award submissions:
- Know what judges want– we’re great storytellers and understand how to make entries memorable.
- Focus firmly on target markets– all our customers are in IT and telecoms, which means we always hit the hot buttons.
- Cut the fluff, make every word count– most competitions have strict word limits so don’t waste precious chances.
- Ask the right questions – we know how to do that as a critical skill we’ve developed over many years in the business.
- Hunt down hard facts– winning submissions always contain solid proof points and we’re adept at winkling them out.
- Strike the balance between substance and style– judges see lots of entries and they like the ones with exciting writing.
Stay up with the times
Winning an award usually means doing three things better than the also-rans. First, you’ve got to be in it to win it, as the old saying goes, which we’ll return to shortly. Then, you’ve got to produce a convincing fact-filled online submission (see our comments below on new formats) to secure your place on the shortlist. And, finally, deliver a captivating multimedia presentation (for example, add video soundbites) to sway the judges.
Until COVID-19 struck in 2020, the latter tended to be in-person pitches. However, they switched to socially distanced video calls for obvious reasons, while the award ceremonies also went virtual. Things are starting to revert to normal for the 2021 season, but that’s no reason to ignore lessons learned during the pandemic.
Plus, award bodies are encouraging multimedia entries like PDFs, infographics, and videos. Why? Well, it makes the judging process more varied and allows your personality to shine through. If you’re a fun company, show it! Naturally, written entries are still welcome. But note judges aren’t huge fans of attachments. So, keep your entry in body copy, make it easy to read, and don’t feel you have to answer each proof point in order.
Get help with the hard work
Of course, doing the copywriting right is only half the game and, unless you’ve got your eye on the ball, you might miss opportunities others don’t.
So, GoRefCo offers the following additional services:
- For free sign-up to our award entry service email email@example.com.
- For an up-to-date list of IT and telecoms industry awards click here.
- We match awards to our customers’ businesses and keep track of them.
- We add compelling case study evidence.
- We keep a watch on things on your behalf and provide submission date alerts.
Furthermore, when it comes to production of award submission decks, and other multimedia content, we’ll help your people do their homework and brush up on facts and figures to give them the maximum chance of winning.
See the proof in the pudding
In 2020, the first year we offered our awards service, GoRefCo produced 14 client award submissions featuring customers like Premier League football clubs, major banks, and leading online retailers. Nine were shortlisted, six made it to the final, and three won big.
In 2021, we’re comfortably exceeding that run rate with no less than 18 awards shortlisted at the time of going to press.